w2d1 Brainstorming Guide
Luther will be an individual project. Still, we will brainstorm in groups, so that you can build upon each other's ideas and generate a lot of potential directions. After that, you each will decide for yourselves which of these directions to take.
Break into groups of 3-4. There will be three sections of brainstorming: Potential Clients, Questions, and Possible Inputs. We'll have 15 minutes to discuss each section.
- Movie studio
- Movie futures investment firm
- Marketing company
Questions we might answer for clients using data
- Given potential movies to make, what movies should I make?
- Given movies that are being made, which movies should I invest in?
- Given movies that are being made, where should I allocate my marketing budget?
- Can I predict the profitability of movies that are about to be released?
- Can I predict the eventual/total/longer term profitability of movies that have just been released?
- Can I predict international success?
- Can I predict what movies will be "cult classics"?
(things to collect in our scraping)
- Actors (all)
- Lead actors
- Projected size of budget
- Adapted source (book/TV show, etc)
- Release date (month/season/holiday/etc)
- Opening night/1st weekend/1st week box office gross
- Social media
- type/scale of distribution
- Wikipedia page views
- Competition (concurrent releases)
- DVD sales, etc
- Critic ratings
- International... stuff...